Saturday, May 08, 2010

Chit-chat and Gabfests

Yesterday I was talking to my husband and I realized that I come from a unique family. Here's how the conversations went: (when telling Matt how my sister almost ruined a surprise visit to my parents' house by telling my mom)

"I was talking to Cammie today, and she almost ruined the surprise. When I talked to her this morning she had just gotten off the phone with my parents, and they were still planning to come visit us. I told her not to worry, I had just talked with my dad and he knew we were coming, but he wasn't going to tell my mom. Then I was talking will Cammie after Ella called, and she told me that she accidentally told mom what was going on, and Dad had to cover."

If that's confusing, it should be. The point of that monologue is this: I was on the phone with my sister for the second time that day, who had already talked with my parents twice, before and after I spoke with the 'rents.

On the average week day I'll call Cammie 2-3 times. I call my parents 1-2 times. Michelle's a social butterfly, but we manage to squeeze in a call 2-3 times a week. I always thought everyone was like that ... how was I supposed to know they're not?

I don't remember ever making a conscious decision to stay in touch with my family so frequently - it just happened. I suppose a lot of it has to do with the fact that my mom, sister, and I all work from home (if you consider being retired "working"). That makes it easy to give someone a quick call when I have a question about something. Sure, I could research things online, but when you spend hours in front of the computer everyday, a phone call breaks up the monotony.

For the record, every call to a family member isn't a conversation. I've been known to call my mom just to tell her the theme of an article I'm writing. Likewise, my 3.5 yr. old niece will call me to tell me her babysitter is coming over. It's not necessarily about conversing with each other, it's about staying in touch. And we are masters at staying in touch.

I like that about our fam. It's kind of silly, but it's fun. It doesn't take long for info to travel along the VB gossip line. We may not always like what the other person is saying, and the conversations aren't always spoken in quiet tones, but we always communicate.

And it's not just a girl thing ... my 17 month old nephew is quickly learning the fine art of jibber-jabber. I've got the voice mail messages to prove it :)

1 comment:

Camille said...

Yes, Miles believes EVERY phone call is for him!

And Ella had to call you, Michelle, and her grandparents to let them know that her baby-sitter was coming that night! She might have been just a little excited. :-)