Sunday, January 01, 2012

Isaiah 12 - for 2012

Photo Credit
In case you haven't figured it out, I believe in God. Even more than that, I believe that the Bible is His word, it is truth, and if anyone will accept it as such, God will not only save you, but guide you through every step of your life. That doesn't mean life is easy and nothing bad will ever happen, but God will always be there. He just loves us all that much.

I like to talk to God, too. I call it prayer. Not the kind of praying most people do (Dear God, I need this and this and this. Thanks.), but an actual conversation. I pour my heart out, then I listen.

Each year on December 31, I ask God about the coming year: how can I prepare? This year I didn't have to ask. I didn't even have to wait until New Year's Eve! Friday night at church, God showed me a few things about 2012 and my life.

Photo Credit
1. Twelve. That's an important number this year. I'm not sure why, but it is. Twelve is the perfect number, signifying perfection of government, or of governmental perfect. It also reappears in the Old and New Testaments on multiple occasions: 12 sons of Jacob, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 Apostles, 12 gates of heaven guarded by 12 angels. I don't yet know why 12 is important this year, but it is.

Photo Credit


2. Isaiah 12. I don't read Isaiah very often. I tend to think of that book as containing long chapters of prophecy or woe that my brain doesn't wrap around very easily. I couldn't shake the feeling, however, that I needed to read Isaiah 12. Wow. I've decided to adopt this chapter for the year. I've been obsessing over music and worship for the past few weeks. I know that reading this chapter wasn't just coincidence.

Isaiah 12 (NLT)
In that day you will sing; "I will praise you, O Lord!
You were angry with me, but not any more. Now you comfort me.
See, God has come to save me. I will trust in him and not be afraid.
The Lord God is my strength and my song; he has given me victory."

With joy you will drink deeply from the fountain of salvation!
In that wonderful day you will sin: "Thank the Lord! Praise his name!
Tell the nations what he has done. Let them know how mighty he is!
Sing to the Lord, for he has done wonderful things. Make know his praise around the world.
Let all the people of Jerusalem shout his praise with joy!
For great is the Holy One of Israel who lives among you."

That's what 2012 has in store for me. I'm excited to see how this year plays out. I pray that you'll see God's plan for you in the new year, too.

No comments: