Monday, January 23, 2012

Mega-Meal Monday

I got this cool menu board from my sister for Christmas. It's been a lot of fun, but I'll be honest - I don't actually cook the meals on the days that they're scheduled. I tend to fix everything in two days. This week, I went for Sunday and Monday. I've dubbed today Mega-Meal Monday. I wasn't actually planning on making such gigantic meals. It just happened. Here's how things worked tonight.

It started with a box of soup.

As you can see by the price tag, I got a good deal on this quart of soup. It's a yummy, sweet soup, but it's not very filling. I could eat the whole quart and still want to eat. The pretty picture on the cover gave me an idea. I chopped up some onions and bell peppers, sauteed them with some garlic, then browned a pound of ground beef. Toss in a few hands full of spinach, some salt and pepper to taste, and viola!



This is quite possibly one of the tastiest soups I've ever made. I just wish I'd measured everything out so I could duplicate it. (I'm sure I can make it close enough)

Even though the pan is huge, it won't feed Matt and I all week, so I had to whip up something else. Matt's two favorite things in the world are macaroni and cheese and tacos. My mom turned us on to this casserole, which I, of course, have modified.


A couple of boxes of Annie's organic mac & cheese, one pound taco meat, some of the sauteed onions/garlic/peppers, a handful of shredded taco cheese, 1/2 jar of salsa. Mix. Bake. Magic!

Just look at that ooey, gooey, greasy goodness. I think I'll let Matt eat the bulk of this one. 


Between the two meals, we'll be full all week. Bon appetite!

No comments: