Monday, November 29, 2010

Why The Holidays Are So Exciting

Three days ago I enjoyed a "first" in my life - Black Friday. This wasn't my first Black Friday experience, it was my hubby's. I had the pleasure of sharing it with him.

The pre-dawn alarm clock, the ant-like trail of traffic, insane lines of pajama clad women. We hustled, scooted, pushed, and saved. I loved every minute of it!

Isn't that what makes the holidays so exciting? I certainly hope not.

I love the thrill of Black Friday, but it's just a day. I'd have as much fun if it happened every June right after the full moon. The shopping and saving doesn't have anything to do with Christmas - it's a bargain lover's dream, nothing else.

Then what makes Christmas so exciting?

It's not the presents, the parties, or even the  excessive family time. It's much deeper. It's even more than birth of Christ. You have to keep going deeper.

Love. Jesus didn't come to earth because he wanted to know what life as a human was like. He came because of love.

God loves us so much that He sent His son to die for us. Jesus knew his birth would be his death sentence, but he did it anyway. We have freedom, joy, and peace all because of love. We have families and friends so we can buy presents, throw parties, and cook elaborate feasts all because of love. God IS love.

That's what makes the holidays exciting - knowing that everything we celebrate stems from love. We are extremely, thoroughly, and completely loved. That's what really matters.

1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

Beautiful. Thank you for this, Karin.