Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Coconut Oil Fudge - Recipe and Tips

After a recent doctor's appointment I learned a couple of things about my diet. First, I need more protein. Second, I need to cut carbs. Because of that I'm always looking for good snack recipes. On a recent quest to eat better and keep my feet warm (a different subject, yet indirectly related) a friend directed me to this article on The Nourished Life blog. She mentions a three ingredient, coconut oil fudge recipe. Follow a couple of links and you find it. It's pretty basic, so I gave it whirl.

1.One part coconut oil (I used 1 cup). I live in northern Michigan, so coconut oil in January looks like this. Just warm it on the stove or in the microwave until melted.



2. One part cocoa powder. I happen to have organic cacao powder. It's very light in the measuring cup, but don't let it trick you - this stuff not only contains lots of nutrients (including fiber and protein), it's also super dark and chocolately. Since I used 1 cup coconut oil, I used 1 cup cacao powder.


 
3. Half part raw honey. My raw honey is thick and creamy, so I measured out a 1/2 cup in my Pampered Chef measuring unit. I don't use this often, but I swear by it for thick, gooey ingredients like honey and peanut butter. When you press the measuring cup up, it scrapes off the sides so you don't miss any yummy goodness.

Before

After

Now you begin the mixing process. Here are a few tips I'll pass along to you. First, if you have thick, creamy honey like I do, heat it up. The thick sweetener doesn't blend well with the liquid oil.

See how nice and dark this looks?



Next, the original recipe says to pour the mixture into a glass container. Yes, but ... I can't seem to get the fudge out very easily. I might put down some waxed paper so you can pop the fudge out of the pan instead of scraping it out.



Here's the mixed, poured, hardened yumminess. I'm not the biggest honey fan, so I might tweak the sweetening process, but Linda and Matt both love this recipe. It will definitely pop up here again!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this web site needs a great deal more attention.
I'll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the information!
my page - Boliger i Tyrkia