Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fight the Good Fight!


Since I promised not to talk about the new government "health care", I won't. Instead, lets talk about ways in which we can keep ourselves healthy!

It really is disgusting that the government allows French Fries to be served in school lunches as a vegetable option! Really?? You're going to tell me that a 1/2 cups of marinara, or steamed broccoli, or mixed greens have the same nutritional value as DEEP FRIED POTATOES??

I've been subbing in the schools. I was there the day when the main lunch option was three cheese stuffed white bread sticks with a little cup of dipping sauce. I don't know how, but that was considered a balanced, nutritious meal appropriate for middle school kids.

Since Matt was diagnosed with cancer we've been more diligent about what we eat, though I've been getting lazy recently. But after I saw how school chicken nuggets are made, I realized that we need to get more serious.

I signed the Food Revolution petition because I adore the kids that I sub for, and I'd love for them to have a better chance at health. I'd rather my tax dollars pay for their homemade 7-veggie spaghetti sauce than their diabetes and ADD meds.

If you haven't seen the show, check it out. You can sign the petition here. There are also tips for shopping/cooking better, how to get involved, etc.

Here's to your health!

No comments: