Saturday, May 09, 2009

My Husband's New Obsession

Beer.

For most of you, this doesn't seem like a big deal, but for anyone who really knows Matt (I'm thinking Jamie here) you'll understand why this is kinda funny.

You see Matt is NOT a drinker. He didn't have the "traditional" college experience. He started his own business when he was 16 yrs. old and worked at that until he closed shop in 2005. When he has free time he grabs a backpack and tent and heads to the woods. Alcohol has never been a temptation or desire.

Then he met me.

If you knew me pre-2001, then you know I used throw down a 6-pack without blinking. Not so much anymore. However, I still enjoy adult beverages. I like to buy a bottle of wine or some beer and finish it over the course of a few months ;) I mean, really - what's a fresh grilled burger without a cold beer, right?

Now that Matt works at the recycle center he sees dozens of kinds of beer bottles/cans every day, and his curiosity is high. We've had some beer before, but usually because I pick it up for some reason. Well that has changed.

A couple of weeks ago Michelob ran a special: buy (4) 6-packs, get a $15 rebate. Matt nearly burst with excitement! We bought all four and sent in for the rebate. The NEXT WEEK he wanted to try another brand...and he's got some ideas for what else he wants to try.

Here's why this doesn't work very well: Matt is a super light-weight. Plus he's not quite used to the beer taste yet, so he drinks about 6 oz. at a time. You heard that right...if he had some beer every night it would take him almost two weeks to kill a 6-pack. And that's IF he has a beer every night...which he doesn't.

So right now I'm holding him at bay and INSISTING that we finish at least 1/2 of the beer that we have before we start getting more. He's chompin' at the bit, but still drinking vveeerrryyy slowwwwwllyyy. I'm not sure what flavor we'll try next, but at this rate we should be ready it sometime toward the end of June.

No comments: