Monday, November 29, 2004

Thanksgiving...

I've survived another Thanksgiving. I wish I was a bit more excited than I actually am, but I'm not. I have mixed emotions about Thanksgiving. It's not that I don't have a lot for which to be thankful, because I have TONS of things, but I still have a hard time with the holiday.

I don't really care for turkey. Fresh turkey I can handle, but I don't like leftovers. I have also never like gravy...sweet potatoes...or cranberries (though my mother is getting creative with some new recipes). So where does that leave me? With broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and stuffing. On the plus side I LOVE those four things, but I still often wonder, "Why all of this fuss over a meal that I don't particularly like?" Now if I was having a large veggie covered pizza, cheesy bread sticks and some chocolate soy-milk I could get behind it!! This year there was also the disappointment of no pumpkin pie. Sigh. However, as I do aspire to be an optimist instead of a pessimist...I did get to try my very first, made-from-scratch banana cream pie, and I found it quite delightful.

As Thanksgiving continues, and the meal comes to an end, the inevitable Christmas tree fiasco begins. I'm no Scrooge by any means, but the Christmas tree at my parent's house is a whole new beast. This year's theme: Crystal (and yes, next year's theme has already been picked). I enjoy decorating my own home, where I put things where I want and only put up what I want. Drill Sgt. Michelle will have none of that at Camp Van Buren. There must be order, as the theme depends upon it! In the past I usually put the tree together (yep, its fake) and have to put on the lights. Neither of these are my favorite, but I've somehow been designated as the tree/light girl. This year, I rebelled.

I wouldn't think the lack of desire or interest in creating the Crystal Christmas would be a big deal, but I heard plenty about it from the Sarge. I hope she realizes it for what it was: a simple lack of interest in tree lighting, and a final refusal to be bullied into that job. I'm not boycotting the tree, nor am I against having it...I'm just against my having to do anything if I don't want to do it. I can see how one would consider this selfish, and perhaps it is, but I was curious to see what would happen if, for one year, I did nothing. I gotta tell you...I liked it.

Now that the weekend is over the family can begin concentrating on other events, but Thanksgiving 2005 already lingers in the air. I'm neither excited, nor am I dreading it, but perhaps I will make further steps to alleviate the less popular aspects. I will stand firm in my conviction to not light the tree...I will enjoy lots of mashed potatoes with broccoli casserole...and perhaps sneak an order to Pizza Hut for dinner.

No comments: