Friday, November 12, 2004

I love to write

And it's a good thing too. I jotted all of these notes down last night but never saved them. Luckily, it won't be a problem to start over again...

I love to write. I don't just mean the physical act of writing onto paper. I don't just mean the concept of researching and recording my thoughts. I love it all. I like watching the words form on the page as my pen leaves a trail of ideas and words behind. The click-clack of the keyboard is music to my ears. I enjoy the whole process.

I don't necessarily need a topic about which to write, but it helps. I have been known to write about anything, to ramble for the sake of writing. However, it is an incomplete experience without the planning, researching and eventual regurgitation of someone else's work mixed in with my own convictions. A topic helps, but I will write for any reason. It intrigues me that I studied English in college for the opportunity to read, but I now miss the challenge of writing.

My job doesn't give me the full experience of writing. I have the opportunity to record and distribute data, but it is still lacking. It lacks me. Please don't misunderstand, as I don't desire fame or recognition. However, I do want the opportunity to let my soul be seen. It's not that I believe that my opinion is right, or that anyone even really cares what my opinions are, but I want the opportunity to express them. In writing I have to chance to think about life, formulate the right words and then to share them, with or without anyone knowing from whence the ideas came.

Perhaps that is why I prefer the written word to the spoken word. There aren't many people who know me that will tell you I have a problem with the spoken word. Quite the opposite actually. I often suffer diarreah of the mouth, with anything and everything spilling forth. My tongue too frequently works more quickly than my brain and I put myself in a bad situation, wishing I could take back what just errupted, or that I could think of a better apology. That is rarely the case with writing. I think writing is the left-brained man's art form. I can research, outline, create note cards and proof-read before submitting my final copy. It gives me the joy of being myself as creatively and as organized-ly (?) as I desire.

Funny, how I spent four years dreading the next writing assignment, then four years thankful that I am no longer under that pressure. And now? I'm ready for that challenge again...

No comments: