Thursday, June 02, 2011

Reuben: My New Obsession

I don't know why it started, but a few years ago I ordered a reuben sandwich at Arby's. While the Arby's sandwich isn't the best example of any sandwich, it was enough to catch my attention. Since that time, I've made it my mission to find the best reubens out there. I've enjoyed my experiment, but sometimes I want to enjoy one of those sour, salty, sensations in the comfort of my own home.

Quite a while ago, a friend of mine made slow cooker reubens. A yummy, creamy reuben-inspired dip for bread, rolls, or crackers. Heaven. I neglected to get the recipe from her, so I did what any foodie without a recipe does - I went to AllRecipe.com and searched for one.


Mmmm...creamy, reuben bliss. I have to tweak the recipe a bit (it's a little heavy on the cream cheese for my liking), but it sure hits the spot. I'm going to consider this my starter recipe and work on it:

16 oz. jar of sour kraut (drained)
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
2 c. shredded, cooked corned beef
1/4 c. thousand island dressing

Just dump it all in a crock pot: 45 minutes on high, or put it on low and let it coast. Make sure to stir it a few times while it warms. That's it!

I'm not a big fan of bottled salad dressing, so I made that, too. This can definitely be tweaked to your preference. I don't usually eat the stuff (except on my reubens and Big Macs), so I made a basic recipe:

1 c. mayonaisse
3/4 c. ketchup
4 t. evaporated milk (more if you like it creamier)
Garlic powder
Worchestsire Sauce
Sweet relish or diced sweet pickles (as many as you want for your preferred chunkiness)


I enjoyed this fine dip on some homemade bread (a new recipe - it rose!)

No comments: