Saturday, October 25, 2008

Skeptical

I like Facebook. It's a social network that I understand. I even like the new version (why are you so hesitant to change?). What I've decided that I don't like is "make-your-own-quiz".

I really like taking the quizzes. It's fun to find out that I'm most like Sally (Charlie Brown's sister), or Jane Austen's Catherine Morland, or, surprisingly, Jasmine (I'm not Belle, the book-loving heroine?). Those are fun :) It gives me a few minutes of brainless activity.

What I'm not a huge fan of, however, is that anyone can make a quiz, and it's hard to know which quiz was written by some looney-bin at 3am after he got home from the bar and thought, "I can make a quiz!"

I just took the quiz, "What were you born to do?" That's a pretty deep question. There are millions of possiblitities! The quiz involved five three-answer multiple choice questions.

Really? That's it?? You can decide if I should be a teacher, actor, roofer, pharmacist, business owener, musician, garbage man, landscaper, doctor, secretary, or waitress after five questions?? Wow!

I'm a writer. My sister is a high school teacher. We both took the quiz. It said we should both be a doctor/nurse. Why? Because we care about people.

Are you SERIOUS!?!

First of all, the differences between doctors and nurses are HUGE! (My husband has been in and out of hospitals for the past two years - trust me, I know!!). What makes someone a good nurse will NOT make them a good doctor, so lumping them into the same category, I'm sorry, seems a bit premature, if not ignorant.

Secondly - shouldn't the main reason for joining the medical profession include something like - can you complete eight years of higher education? I'm not trying to be mean here, but my Aunt Linda would score the same on the quiz that I did. She LOVES people and wants to make sure everyone is taken care of. She remembers everyone she's ever met and will always ask how they're doing. She's also mentally handicapped and lives at the 2nd grade level.

I'm sure I could come up with a third - fourth - then final reason to criticize this quiz, but I don't feel like it. I don't really want to waste any more time ranting about five multiple choice questions.

I'm sure I'll keep taking quizzes, and I'm sure I'll continue to be disappointed. I hope I won't.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to come up with my own...I'll let you know when its posted.

No comments: